If you are attending the IBM Inetconnect conference there is a TON of storage related sessions. Here is the link to the main page where you can find out all the information about general sessions and the Aerosmith concert.
To build your agenda you can go to the portal here: IBM Interconnect Portal
There you will see all sorts of information about the conference and you can sign up for sessions ahead of time. You can look at certain ‘tracks’ for different types of sessions or you can search for them based on the date/time or session topic. If you are interested in a storage related topic I have listed them below. Do notice that these sessions are at Mandalay Bay.
If you see me in the halls feel free to introduce yourself and I will buy you a coffee/beverage of choice.
|Session Number||Session Name||Date||Time||Location|
|5987||Storage and Data Protection Track Kickoff||Monday, February 23, 2015||11-12 pm||Mandalay Bay Ballroom A|
|6171||IBM Tivoli Storage Manager for Enterprise Resource Planning Protecting SAP HANA||Monday, February 23, 2015||12-12.50 pm||Mandalay Bay-Meet the Experts Forum #3|
|1037||Tivoli Storage Productivity Center: A Field-Level Guide for Deployment or Upgrading||Monday, February 23, 2015||12.15-1.15 pm||Mandalay Bay Breakers I|
|3780||Data Management in the Cloud||Monday, February 23, 2015||2-3 pm||Mandalay Bay Breakers I|
|3363||The Secret to Building a Successful Enterprise Storage Infrastructure for Cloud||Monday, February 23, 2015||12.15-1.15 pm||Mandalay Bay-Breakers J|
|3959||IBM Data Protection Roadmap||Monday, February 23, 2015||5-6 pm||Mandalay Bay Ballroom A|
|3620||IBM Tivoli Storage Manager for Virtual Environments 7.1.1 VMware Lab||Monday, February 23, 2015||3.30 -6.30 pm||MB South Seas G|
|3809||Gain Insights and Efficiency by Managing Elastic Storage with IBM SmartCloud Virtual Storage Center||Tuesday, February 24, 2015||8-9 am||Mandalay Bay-Breakers I|
|3861||Learn How to Detect and Avoid Problems in Your Storage Environment||Tuesday, February 24, 2015||9.30-10.30 am||Mandalay Bay-Breakers I|
|4001||Simplify Storage Management with Tivoli Storage Productivity Center||Tuesday, February 24, 2015||11-12 pm||Mandalay Bay-Breakers I|
|3921||IBM’s Software Defined Storage Vision and Strategy||Tuesday, February 24, 2015||2-3 pm||Mandalay Bay Ballroom A|
|2257||How Using IBM Virtual Storage Center Simplifies Life and Cuts Costs for Verint Systems||Tuesday, February 24, 2015||3.30-4.30 pm||Mandalay Bay-Breakers I|
|3878||SAP HANA Data Protection Capabilities and Best Practices||Tuesday, February 24, 2015||11-12 pm||Mandalay Bay Breakers J|
|3627||IBM Tivoli Storage Productivity Center 5.2 Daily Operations and Provisioning||Tuesday, February 24, 2015||8-10 am||MB South Seas G|
|1665||TSM 101: Tivoli Storage Manager Spelled Out||Tuesday, February 24, 2015||10-10.50 am||MTE/Engagement Center|
|6051||Blueprints Aren’t Just for Houses||Tuesday, February 24, 2015||11-11.50 am||Mandalay Bay-Meet the Experts Forum #3|
|1462||Elastic Storage: Software Defined Storage for Cloud, Big Data/Analytics and Technical Computing||Tuesday, February 24, 2015||2-3 pm||Mandalay Bay Breakers I|
|4973||BYOC—Bring Your Own Challenge—to the Storage Software Portfolio Experts||Tuesday, February 24, 2015||12.30-1.30 pm||Mandalay Bay Mandalay Ballroom A|
|5196||Evolving from Traditional Storage and Backup to an Optimized, State-of-the-Art Solution||Tuesday, February 24, 2015||12.30-1.30 PM||Mandalay Bay Breakers J|
|6635||Next-Generation Data Protection, Reporting, Monitoring and Alerting for Heterogeneous Environments||Tuesday, February 24, 2015||5.30-6.30 PM||Mandalay Bay Breakers I|
|1295||Optimize Your Storage with IBM SmartCloud Virtual Storage Center Advanced Analytics||Wednesday, February 25, 2015||1-2 pm||MTE/Engagement Center|
|3588||Advance Your Business with IBM’s Software Defined Storage Offerings||Wednesday, February 25, 2015||2-3 PM||Mandalay Bay Breakers I|
|5109||Protecting Data in Hybrid Cloud Environments||Wednesday, February 25, 2015||8-9 am||Mandalay Bay Ballroom A|
|5606||Affordable Data Protection for SMBs||Wednesday, February 25, 2015||11-12 pm||Mandalay Bay Breakers J|
|5519||Capital City Bank: Winning with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Cloud Solutions for the Mid-Market||Wednesday, February 25, 2015||3.30-4.30 pm||Mandalay Bay-Breakers J|
|3672||Storage Infrastructure Matters for the Cloud||Thursday, February 26, 2015||9-10 am||Mandalay Bay-Breakers I|
|4791||Data Protection in Virtual Server Environments: One Size Does Not Fit All||Thursday, February 26, 2015||10.30-11.30 am||Mandalay Bay Breakers I|
|4394||Explore the Benefits of Three Future Tivoli Storage Manager Capabilities||Thursday, February 26, 2015||9-10 am||Mandalay Bay Ballroom A|
|3623||Tivoli Storage Manager 7.1.1 Node Replication||Thursday, February 26, 2015||8-10 am||Mandalay Bay South Seas A|
|3629||IBM Tivoli Storage Productivity Center 5.2 Reporting||Thursday, February 26, 2015||8-10 am||Mandalay Bay South Seas J|
|2132||Tivoli Storage Manager 7 in a Large-Scale Linux Environment at State Farm Insurance||Thursday, February 26, 2015||9-10 am||Mandalay Bay Breakers J|
|5224||Elastic Storage in the Cloud||Thursday, February 26, 2015||1-2 pm||Mandalay Bay Breakers I|
|5025||Large-Scale Migration from Symantec NetBackup to Tivoli Storage Manager at Portugal’s Largest Bank||Thursday, February 26, 2015||10.30-11.30 am||Mandalay Bay Breakers J|
Good Blog article by fellow IBMer Ron Riff:
Every once in a long while there are discoveries that, well, change everything. Stuff like discovering the earth isn’t flat, it’s round. People talked about that possibility for centuries but it wasn’t until a Ferdinand Magellan expedition stepped out and circumnavigated the globe that everything changed. In some ways, today’s announcement of IBM® Spectrum Storage™ has done the same thing for the idea of software defined storage.
Today IBM is announcing a new storage platform named Spectrum. This new family of products allow customers to handle the burden of increasing storage needs. There are a few blogs and articles already out there so I am not here to re-hash those. I will point out the fact we are able to offer our storage products in both a software only form or a tried and true system is something unique.
I took this from the announcement today. As you can see we are truly taking the material from our existing software and now making them a part of a family.
Spectrum Control (IBM Virtual Storage Center) allows control of the infrastructure with analytic-driven data management that will help reduce cost by up to 50 percent.
Spectrum Protect (IBM Tivoli Storage Manager) reduces backup costs and protects data.
Spectrum Accelerate (XIV as Software) allows for accelerated enterprise storage for cloud deployments.
Spectrum Scale (Elastic Storage) scales high-performance storage up to 1B petabytes of unstructured data.
Spectrum Virtualize (IBM SAN Volume Controller) can virtualize mixed environments and store up to 5 times more data.
Spectrum Archive (IBM LTFS) can archive data that allows fast access and reduces TCO for archived data by approximately 90 percent.
As you see, some of these were software products already and they were added to the family. What I am most impressed with is now the ability to buy the XIV software and create your own XIV with your hardware. When I first hear about this about a year ago, I didn’t understand the real value in doing an all software offering for XIV. But since then I have seen where customers are wanting to either create smaller XIV systems than our 55TB systems or they are wanting to run a standard hardware platform which costs them less to maintain.
I also see great opportunities for IBM to move the XIV software stack into a hyper-converged solution where customers can run more than just storage on box, but their networking, applications and middle-ware as well. The other aspect is it opens up the ability to run an all flash XIV, more then 15 ‘modules’ which equals larger scale. Who knows what else is in the works for this product but I think we/IBM is on the right track.
The other big news coming out of IBM today was the announcement of a $1 BEEELION dollar investment in R&D for IBM Storage Software over the next 5 years. According to the press release, the money will help clients with object storage and open standards.
To accelerate the development of next-generation storage software, IBM also announced plans to invest more than $1 billion in its storage software portfolio over the next five years. With this investment, the company aims to extend its storage technology leadership having recently been ranked #1 in software defined storage platforms for the first three quarters of 2014 by leading industry analyst firm IDC.1 The investment will focus on R&D of new cloud storage software, object storage and open standard technologies including OpenStack.
As you can imagine, that is a huge commitment for IBM or for any storage company. I think this goes to tell that IBM is in the storage business for the long haul and our commitment to our clients stays strong. From what I can tell from our R&D teams, there are some really cool things coming down the road and I am for one very excited about IBM Storage.
IBM Edge 2014 Call for Speakers is Open!
Do you have a story that you want to tell? IBM is giving you a chance to tell the world how you are making your business or the industry better. This year we are focused on four areas: Social, Mobile, Analytics and Cloud. These subjects will be the cornerstone of the conference and sessions will be selected on how your business was changed by them.
We want attendees to better understand why its important to move Infrastructure from an afterthought to a strategic mission critical choice, and want presenters to discuss how IBM infrastructure is a unique enabler for growth and innovation. Ideally, a speaker can incorporate how the company’s strategic and forward thinking decisions about infrastructure have directly impacted the enterprise’s ability to respond effectively to new opportunities, challenges and the demands of growth and innovation. We look forward to inviting customers to speak and will pay for their conference fee as a token of thanks.
If you are interested in speaking and attending Edge, please email me back with some details below and I will get your information into the database for the selection committee.
Please send me your name, company and contact information and the specifics you might include in your project/story including:
What IBM solution components? what is your implementation?
What terms of the decision process did you go through and the impact to your business?
Will you be comfortable including some business impact context?
Is there a tie-in with Cloud, Analytics, Mobile or Social type of workload ?
How has IBM technology helped you run the business better?
If you are interested, please let me know by March 12 as the deadline is next Friday for submissions.
The next meeting will be Thursday March 13th at Natty Greene’s Pub (Loft) Greensboro starting at noon until 4 pm. Please come and enjoy the ACC Tournament with us and learn about IBM’s Flash Storage System. See how Flash can accelerate your applications besides your storage array.
Come out and network with your storage peers and lets play stump the engineer!
Topics will include:
Flash Storage Systems
**New 840 Model Announcement **
Decreasing Latency / Backup Windows & Restore times
Greensboro, NC – March 13, 2014
The Loft at Natty Greene’s
345 South Elm Street
Greensboro, North Carolina 27401
Start time is 12:00 Noon
IBM made a TON of announcements yesterday. Here is a link and list of all of them.
* IBM Storwize V3700 delivers replication over IP networks and 800 GB SSD option
* New SSD and indicator features for IBM Flex System V7000 deliver increased capacity and manageability
* New IBM Flex System V7000 features deliver high performance and scalable storage
* New 800 GB SSD for IBM Storwize V7000 and IBM SAN Volume Controller offers a higher capacity option for high-performance environments
* New hardware features for IBM System Storage 7226 and 3580 increase configuration flexibility – HVEC/XCC
* IBM Virtualization Engine TS7700 Release 3.1 delivers 8 Gb FICON adapter support, increased capacity, and other system enhancements
* IBM 7226 Model 1U3 Multimedia Enclosure delivers new features and capabilities
* IBM System Storage N series clustered Data ONTAP software for implementing a cDOT configuration
* IBM System Storage N series clustered Data ONTAP hardware enables flexible scaling
* IBM Storwize V5000 delivers simplicity, efficiency, and flexibility for midsize organizations
* IBM Scale Out Network Attached Storage offers new disk capacities for models DR2 and DE2 for machine type 2851
* New IBM System Storage N series drive, adapter, and cable features deliver capacity and attachment options
* IBM XIV Storage System Gen3, Model 214 with software version 11.4 delivers data-at-rest encryption and software-based, encryption-ready flash drives
* IBM ILOG Supply Chain Application offerings add new and replacement part numbers
* IBM SmartCloud Virtual Storage Center V5.2 offers cross-platform, automated storage, tier optimization, and improved data protection over IP networks
* IBM Product Recommendations Analytics Independent makes it easier for digital marketers and e-commerce professionals to add automated recommendations
* IBM Tivoli Storage Productivity Center for Replication for System z, V5.2 now enables control for multiple sysplexes from a single server
* IBM Tivoli Storage Productivity Center V5.2 helps improve the ability to visualize and control storage environments from end to end
* IBM SmartCloud Storage Access R1.2 transforms efficient SAN and NAS storage into cloud storage
* IBM Storwize Family Software for Flex System V7000 V7.2 delivers performance improvements and simplified storage management
* IBM Storwize V5000 Software version 7 delivers a rich set of functional capabilities and optional features for Storwize V5000 hardware
* IBM Security Access Manager for Mobile V8.0 helps protect mobile users and applications against fraudulent and unauthorized access
* IBM Security AppScan V8.8 portfolio supports collaborative and analytical security testing throughout the software development lifecycle
* IBM Storwize Family Software V7.2.0 delivers replication over IP networks and improved performance for Real-time Compression
* IBM XIV Storage System software version 11.4.0 for models 214 and 114 delivers encryption, scaling, and cloud management
* Software withdrawal: IBM ILOG Supply Chain Application offerings selected part numbers
* Hardware withdrawal: IBM System Storage 7226 select features (AAS) – Replacements available
* Hardware withdrawal: Select features for IBM System Storage 7226 (HVEC/Xcc) – Replacements available
* Software withdrawal: IBM FileNet Content Manager, IBM Content Foundation, and IBM Case Foundation XUVU select part numbers – Replacements available